Ref:
Date:
Location:
photo by:

The kirk

Dirleton kirk
Listed below are links which also appear in the text and take you to
relevant pages within this website:

Kirk News: Recent and upcoming events
More information on the Kirk
Stained glass
The Sunday School
Dirleton War Memorial
The Kirk Hall

DIRLETON KIRK (Church)

Minister: Rev. Dr David J. Graham
Opening Hours to Visitors: Daily 9.30am - 4.30pm
Sunday Worship: 9.30am. Wednesdays: half hour service at 10am in Kirk Hall
Church office: 01620 892800
E-mail: abbeychurch@btconnect.com

Dirleton Kirk is a very pretty sandstone church built in 1612 to replace the 12th Century Kirk in Gullane. It is situated in the heart of the village on Manse Road, just off the Village Green. Around the Kirk is an attractive churchyard with beautifully sculpted yew trees and several benches to allow contemplation in this delightful and peaceful setting.

Inside the Kirk, which is open daily to visitors, there is a wealth of information about the historic nature of the building and surrounding area. The church had the first example of neoclassical design in Scotland when the Archerfield Aisle was added in 1664. The church also has a tower crowned with Gothic pinnacles, which were added in 1836, and interesting examples of stained glass, including St Francis and the Animals by the artist Margaret Chilton (1936).

Dirleton Kirk is a Church of Scotland denomination and is linked with Abbey Church in North Berwick, where there are occasional Sunday evening services at 6pm. The Guild meets fortnightly on Tuesdays at 2pm or 7.30pm from September to March.

Details of special Kirk services and events such as concerts in the annual Lammermuir Festival and Opera East Lothian performances held within the Kirk can be found in the Events diary.

THE KIRK HALL

The modernised Kirk Hall, which is to be found to the right of the entrance to the churchyard, is available to hire for classes, meetings, parties and other events. It has a fully equipped kitchen and is used by many community groups.